3.28.2008

Book Sale Results!

Despite being sick as a dog and missing school today (I slept like 14 hours last night--minus the time I was up coughing I suppose) I did a pretty dumb thing, at least on the path to getting better, by dragging my congested rear-end to the Iowa State Fairgrounds for the first full day of the Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa Book Sale.

Let me just say this first: whoever thinks books are becoming obscure and that people don't read anymore needs to head over to this book sale RIGHT NOW and eat their words. I have never seen so many people so pumped about buying books. People literally wait in line with boxes to get into this thing.


Then after waiting to get in, they wade through thousands of books in a hot room to make their selections, and then wait in a check-out line for 25 minutes (maybe that was just my luck but it seemed to be the norm) to pile their cart full of books onto a table and pay hardly anything for an amazing new personal library.


And I was right there with them. I may have been sniffling and sneezing a bit more than anybody else, though. Oh... the price of happiness.

Anyway here's what I left with, paying only $48 for a whopping 22 books:

Books for Fun Reading
  • Vanity Fair by William Thackeray
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare
  • Amazing Grace by Jonathan Kozol
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
  • The Know-It-All by AJ Jacobs
  • The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
  • The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (I had a copy of this but loaned it out and never got it back)
  • Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker
  • The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Frank Rich
  • TTYL by Lauren Myracle
Books for Teaching
  • A Writer's Reference
  • The Freedom Writers Diary
  • Head Over Heels: An SAT Vocabulary Novel
  • You Can Write a Column
  • Creative Nonfiction
  • Woe is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English
  • On Writing Well
  • Fiction Writer's Brainstormer
Like I need any more books! But who can pass up such great deals? I guess at least now I can start living up to the "book reader" reputation David labeled me with last night.

No comments: