3.12.2008

Top Chef Returns!

Top Chef: Chicago premiered tonight. How much did I love it? THIS MUCH!

Anyway despite having the longest (and therefore un-quickest) quick-fire challenge ever, it was an excellent first episode. I like the group that they have chosen, although they don't seem super exciting or dramatic. Maybe this season will echo Project Runway--boring but super talented people. I'm okay with that.

After the slow-fire challenge of creating deep dish pizza (in Chicago? Who woulda thunk?), the contestants were paired up for head-to-head competition cooking culinary classics. Classics may have been a bit of a stretch, but whatever Tom Collicchio (sp?) says, I believe. They had superstar chef celebrity Rocco Dispirito (I know--who?) as guest judge but no Gail! She better be back later this season.

Apart from a few missteps, the food seemed to be really well done. (See what I did there? A cooking joke!) I am excited to see what other tricks the guy who did the smoky crab cake has up his sleeve. This season should be fun!

No comments: