3.06.2008

Quickie Review: Into The Wild

I finally got to watch Into the Wild this week. I meant to see it in the theater but never quite got around to it. It was at the top of my Netflix queue for its release this week and I am definitely glad I finally watched it!

The whole thing was really beautiful--the scenery, the cinematography, the music... and especially Emile Hirsch! Ha. I was surprised at all the small parts played by well-known actors like Vince Vaughn and Catherine Keener, but I guess it was directed by Sean Penn after all. I would have really loved it if the Chris McCandless/Alexander Supertramp character wouldn't have totally reminded me of the creep who has brainwashed my cousin and gotten her pregnant--he doesn't "believe" in money or jobs either. Ick. One big question: he was great but how the heck did Hal Holbrook get an Oscar nod for that role? He was in the movie for like 1.2 seconds! I guess they gave it to Judi Dench for her 4-minute role in Shakespeare in Love. Whatever. Definitely check this out--they did the book justice. Oh, oh and I loved seeing a picture of the real guy at the end! Why does it make me so happy when movies do that? ****

No comments: