5.06.2008

The Paper Redeems Itself

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber... you go and do something like this.
AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF! (A little Dumb and Dumber for ya)

I almost didn't watch The Paper this week because of the nightmare I had after watching last week's episode. As a soon-to-be publications adviser, GOD this show makes me nervous.

BUT I sucked it up, turned it on last night, and am totally glad I did! Because guess what? This episode was actually about the school paper! Shocking, I know.

It was the first deadline and, yes, there was still drama, but it was actually newspaper drama and not Dave Matthews, beer pong, gossip at the pizza place drama. This episode I could actually imagine showing my class.

Especially my editor in chief. At least from the way MTV edited things, Amanda didn't do much for this first issue. Alex totally stepped up and took over. Why, when there is such a power struggle, she would hand over the reins is beyond me. Maybe there was more to the story that got edited out, but it was a good example of not-so-good editorial leadership.

AND OH MY GOD! 36 pages? In a student newspaper? In my dreams--no wait, maybe in my nightmares. I can't even imagine. But I guess with a staff of 50, it's not such a big deal.

So, thank you, MTV, for giving us a real episode that somewhat resembled actual high school journalism. Unfortunately, from the look of the teaser scenes, next week might be right back where we started. At least no nightmares this week!

No comments: