1.26.2008

Quickie Review: Eat, Pray, Love

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I now understand why it has been such a bestseller and why it's featured on every book club/bestseller list under the sun.

This book was a very fast, easy read but also meaningful, which is a hard combination to master. Split into three distinct parts, the book follows Gilbert's travels to Italy, India and Indonesia after a messy divorce. Gilbert's writing is entertaining, as she obviously enjoys poking fun at herself, and her journalistic experience shines through, mixing effectively into the memoir genre. Admittedly, my favorite section of the three was the first--Italy--as I fantasized about being there, enjoying the cuisine and learning the language. I got a bit tired of the spiritual discussion, but overall this woman's journey to self-actualization and individual strength was an excellent read and I would definitely recommend it.

No comments: