4.20.2008

In My Dreams, Unfortunately

So today Tony was showing me the external hard drive he "made" from his old computer; he took the old hard drive and put it in a case and --ouila--he now has a many-gig homemade external hard drive. I was thinking about buying an external hard drive anyway when I saw Tony's and thought about the old iBook sitting in my closet. Then I came across this "how-to" online and knew I just had to do it. From the sounds of that article, it seemed pretty darn simple.

WRONG. SO VERY WRONG.

Check out this 17-page instruction guide for how to remove a hard drive from a freaking iBook G3. This thing is harder to get into than the Pentagon. Holy crap! I counted and I swear to God you have to remove no fewer than 7,312 screws, plus "pry off" about 10 things and "carefully peel back" many tabs and tapes. Utterly terrifying.

My dreams are now shattered! This dream may be just a few hours old, but it's still a dream, darn it!

I guess I could risk destroying the whole laptop to get the hard drive out... I don't plan on using that laptop again anyway, but it seems just plain wrong to destroy a poor helpless Mac, no matter its age.

However, it would save me like $100 or something like that. I'll have to think about this.

No comments: