4.18.2008

Lars = Real Dumb

I watched Lars and the Real Girl today. I had been looking forward to it after the critical acclaim it received.

Honestly? I don't know why this movie got such good reviews. I thought it was kind of boring overall. And not really very funny. It was just ridiculously awkward when he started treating the doll like she was a real person--taking her to the doctor, serving her meals, etc. And when the sister-in-law started playing into it, I pretty much lost interest. Her character seemed so down to earth but I guess she just wanted to do whatever she could to make Lars happy again.

Whatever.

Ryan Gosling did a good job playing the weird, awkward and super bizarre Lars, ticks and all, but it wasn't enough to get many stars from me. I definitely enjoyed watching Juno for the second time a lot more this week. ***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just saw Lars and the Real Girl, Gosling did a great job playing out his character's psychological transition from totally dysfunctional to somewhat functional; it was nice of them to leave out the predictable small-town drama as well