4.06.2008

Kite Runner Flies High

I realized today that I've had The Kite Runner from Netflix for almost two weeks. I NEVER do that. Rarely does it even take me a week to get a movie watched. However, I wanted to really give this film the time and attention it deserves, so that meant it too me awhile.

But today was the day, I had the time and so I popped it into my DVD player this afternoon. Often my Sundays are spent watching movies and simultaneously working on something or cleaning, but I soon realized that wouldn't be possible with this movie--I had to focus and read the subtitles! I knew in the back of my mind it was not in English but it didn't register until I started watching it. That said, I am so glad that it was actually done in the native language rather than in English with a Middle Eastern accent... that annoys me to no end.

It's been a year or more since I read the book by Khaled Hosseini, so I didn't remember every step in the plot, but I believe the movie was pretty true to the book overall. A few things were played down or ignored (Baba's relationship with Ali, how hard it was to get Sorhab back into the US, etc.) but that has to be done when a movie is only 2 hours long. I thought the kids did a great job with their parts and I really liked the actor who played the adult Amir. I guess I don't understand why this movie got somewhat panned at the box office and by critics, because it was a very nicely done version of the ridiculously-popular book.

Maybe some people just can't handle reading at the movies.

NYTimes.com review

No comments: