11.03.2007

Gangsters, Corruption and Drugs: Oh my!

For the entire duration of American Gangster, I sat in my overstuffed chair sipping my blue Icee wondering one thing: does this kind of thing really happen? Really?

Okay, okay I know based on a true story is just that, but the corruption within the police department was absolutely fact. People didn't know that was happening then; could it still be happening now? Is there still corruption in the military like there was then? I mean actual men in green army uniforms chopping open coffins and loading little packages of heroin into a laundry truck? I feel like Uncle Sam definitely would not approve.



This movie definitely kept my attention the entire time, and Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington were great, but the historical context and sheer outrageousness (as factual as it was) seemed to overpower any single performance. It was definitely one of those "shock me, shock me, shock me" kind of films (think Renee Zellweger's little speech in Empire Records, except really not at all related) that made ya think.

And, by making ya think, I mean SERIOUSLY?

No comments: