11.15.2007

Polygamy a la Mode

So is it just me or is Polygamy the new black?

Multiple marriages are SO in.

At least according to the media. They cannot get enough of those LDS folks.

Case in point: last night's Pushing Daisies, featuring a deceased polygamist dog breeder. Now maybe that's just funny but it's only the latest in the media frenzy surrounding polygamy. Ever since Big Love debuted on HBO, it's been the hot topic for everyone--and by everyone, I mean even Oprah.

Oprah had several women on her show that "escaped" their lives of polygamy. She also sent Lisa Ling into a millionaire polygamist compound in Arizona and it was scary, friends. She got HONKED AT by a car that drove by.

There's also the woman who just published a book about her life of child abuse and forced marriage living a polygamist compound.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Why the sudden obsession with it? I'm pretty sure polygamy has been around for, like, hundreds of years. Did we really need an HBO series to figure out that it existed or to make talking about it--not actually doing it! My God, no!--so fashionable?

No comments: