11.08.2007

Ways I Will Survive the Writer's Strike

It may just last a few days or it could be months. I saw this on TVSquad.com and figured I'd make my own list of ways to entertain myself while the writers walk around with super clever signs like "Marcia don't Cross that line"--yikes.

Here's my top 10 plans to avoid death by boredom:

1 . PROJECT RUNWAY! No writers necessary, just fabric, scissors, one perky host, a bunch of crazy designers and a "Make It Work!" man and you have the best show ever! It starts November 14 and that means several months of quality programming, strike or not.

2. Finally finish West Wing. I watched 6 of the 7 seasons last spring/summer but abandoned Jed Bartlett and clan for new season releases in September. I'm looking forward to more of Kristin Chenoweth walking briskly down the hall with Allison Janney towering above her. Plus I just GOTTA know how they handle the death of the real Leo. 7 discs of entertainment await!

3. Watch seasons 1 and 2 of Big Love. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the polygamy party that is this HBO Series. I've got season 1 all queued up on Netflix, and season 2 releases in December.

4. Dig into my giant stack of unread books. I love TV but it definitely takes away from my other favorite form of winter (and summer!) entertainment: reading. My tower of texts include everything from Jeffrey Eugenide's Middlesex to God is Not Great, a book about how Christianity is "destroying" America, with plenty more in between. Endless hours of entertainment there.

5. Three words: NBC. Dot. Com. I need to catch up on Heroes (how can I be three episodes behind? Stupid Monday night class. Plus I have heard great things about 30 Rock and would definitely be up for watching any and all of that series. Oh and Chuck is supposed to be good, too! Even if there's only a half of a season of each, that's plenty of quality viewing time.

6. Three more words: ABC. Dot. Com. There's never enough time in my day for all the ABC shows I want to watch, so I'll start watching Samantha Who? and maybe, if I get desperate (ha) I'll even watch Desperate Housewives.

7. Whittle down my Netflix queue by actually watching all those movies I added but never had time to actually watch--the mid-queue floaters just aching to be viewed. Let's give 'em a chance shall we?

8. Increase my blog reading and waste even more time online watching YouTube videos, checking Facebook, reading blogs, keeping up-to-date on NYTimes.com and, of course, posting here.

9. Catch up on all my other favorite reality shows: House Hunters, Flip That House, Ace of Cakes, SuperNanny, Real Housewives of the OC, etc. etc. I gotta get pretty bored to result to these (apart from House Hunters, a daily staple), but they'll suffice as a "break this glass in case of emergency" option.

10. Actually get some sleep instead of staying up all night watching TV!

No comments: