11.11.2007

You're Sick? That's Hilarious!

I started this last night but had to finish this morning because of a sudden HORRIBLE migraine. I hadn't had one for months but bam! There it was. Perfect timing to try to ruin my NaBloPoMo efforts. Fortunately I was able to gather my energy and post the quotes at least until now, when I can finish my thoughts.

So I'll do just that.

I watched SiCKO, Michael Moore's newest documentary about the healthcare industry this weekend. I had already seen it once--I went to Fleur Cinema this summer and sat in a sea of white-haired folks who I'm pretty sure didn't get it. Or maybe they did but they were already asleep at 7:40pm. Anyway I put it on my Netflix queue and decided to rewatch it to see what I might have missed before.

Specifically, I wanted to see what was so darn funny about this movie.

I kept seeing the promo for it on TV, which includes the quote "It's Michael Moore's funniest movie yet," from some important reviewer somewhere. I looked it up on RottenTomatoes.com and found more of the same:

"Moore delivers a movie of robust mind and heart. You’ll laugh till it hurts."

Peter Travers, Rolling Stone review

"This is essential viewing -- informative, corrosive, and even sometimes hilarious."

Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader review

"A dangerously good comedy about a looming American tragedy..."

Ella Taylor, LA Weekly review

I guess... I'm confused.

Watching it again, I still didn't find the humor in the problems with our health care system. Was it the guy whose died because his HMO refused an "experimental" bone marrow transplant that was such a knee-slapper? Or was it the couple who had to move into their daughter's storage room because they used up their retirement and life savings on cancer treatments that left the reviewers rolling in the aisle?

Maybe the last scene, where Michael Moore is walking with his laundry is funny because... celebrities don't do their own laundry anyway? A shot in the dark.

Anyway I think this movie was really well done and though it definitely had an agenda (what film doesn't?) it brought up some great points about the way we do things here in America. I remember leaving the theater the first time with some things to think about... but they did not include trying to remember all the times I laughed so hard I cried.

Since when are documentaries supposed to be funny, anyway?

Cross your fingers, Michael Moore. With these reviews, you just might be up for best Comedy/Musical at this year's Golden Globes.


No comments: