2.07.2008

Lipstick Jungle: The Verdict

I have fond memories of both reading Lipstick Jungle and listening to the audio book on the long drive to OPE with two of my best friends a couple years ago. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to the premiere tonight of the NBC drama based on Candace Bushnell's book.

The verdict? I was pretty underwhelmed.

Seriously, who ever thought Brooke Shields could act? It's almost funny how much she overacts and how awkward her scenes were, especially the ones on the phone. The girl who was on 90210 isn't too good either to be perfectly honest. One fun thing: I was super excited to see Andrew McCarthy resurrected from his 80s teen movie fame--he looks pretty good!

Despite not-so-great acting and a sort of cliche premise, I will probably watch again next week. Why? Because the teaser for the next episode made me remember that the book also started out a little slow and then got really good. So I'll give it a good chance.

I'm still not sure how a 200-some-odd-page book can make an entire TV series, though...

No comments: