2.28.2008

Finally Finished It

I finally, FINALLY finished The Other Boleyn Girl. I swear I have never taken so long to read a book before. 735 pages is a lot! Plus I never have any time to read. It seems like I am always off teaching or at home applying for jobs (or doing stuff for my hall director job, but that is kinda rare lately--oops) so I never get time to read before I pass out of exhaustion each night.

But tonight, I did it. I finished it. Now I can go see the movie this weekend!

And it was an excellent book. Philippa Gregory's writing is intoxicating and I truly love the story of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. Plus this time I learned so much more about Mary (the, er, other Boleyn sister. Right.)--I just had to keep reminding myself that not everything in this book was fact. It is a novel after all. However, it is totally based on a bunch of truth, which makes it even better. Watching The Tudors on Showtime and reading this book, though, I do find that I don't much like Anne Boleyn. I certainly don't like the Boleyn/Howard men, except maybe George. But that doesn't stop me from completely getting into the story and wanting to smack her every time she ordered her own sister to leave her children, serve her in court and call her "Majesty." Wow. That takes cajones. Overall, I totally recommend it. And you better believe I will be in line to see this movie sometime this weekend.

However...my cooperating teacher loaned me The Boleyn Inheritance, the next book Gregory wrote as a follow-up and I'm thinking it might be a while before I get to reading that. I need to take a break and start a book that won't take me a freaking month to read!

No comments: