12.15.2007

A Christmas Story

25 Days of Christmas Movies: Day Fifteen
A Christmas Story (1983)

" A Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas..."

Christmas in Indiana brings Ralphie, a crazy looking kid with glasses much too similar to those I used to wear when I was that age (except mine were purple), and his dreams of an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle under the tree. Too bad his parents, friends and even Santa stand in his way... it's all fun and games 'til somebody shoots his eye out.

Soundtrack Highlights: "Jingle Bells," "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town," and "The Hut-Sut Song"

My favorite quotes:
  • Ralphie: "Ohhhh Fudge!" Narrator: "Only I didn't say 'Fudge.' I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!"
  • Narrator: "Aunt Clara had for years labored under the delusion that I was not only perpetually 4 years old, but also a girl."
  • Chinese restaurant singers: "Deck the halls with boughs of horry. Ra ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra raaaaa." Chop Suey Palace Owner: "No, no, not 'ra ra ra ra', 'la la la la'! Try again."
  • Mr. Parker: "It could be a bowling alley!" Mother: "How are they going to deliver a bowling alley here tonight?" Mr. Parker: "They'll send the deed for cripesake. I didn't expect them to send a whole damn bowling alley."
  • Mr. Parker: "Fra-gee-lay. They must be Italian." Mother: "I think that says FRAGILE, dear." Mr. Parker: "Oh, yeah."
  • Santa: "If Higbee thinks I'm working one minute past 9:00, he can kiss my foot. Ho ho ho."
Rating: 4 Snowflakes

No comments: