12.06.2007

Elf

25 Days of Christmas Movies: Day Six
Elf (2003)

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud, for all to hear..."

I think I may have watched this movie too many times cause I don't laugh as much as I used to. However, I do remember watching it for the first time with some pretty huge laughs, especially in the scene where Will Ferrell first gets to NYC and eats the chewed gum off of the subway rail... soooo disgusting but hilarious in its naivete. Two things that could have made this movie better: 1) Someone else as the dad, maybe Robert DeNiro or Dustin Hoffman or someone like that and 2) Delete the scene where Buddy dances in the mail room--just dumb. Two things that made this movie great: 1) The unicorn-whale saying "Bye Buddy, Hope you find your dad!" and 2) Leslie, the Grimbels' SantaLand manager with his mini Christmas light necklace. Plus all the great one-liners.

Soundtrack Highlights: "Baby It's Cold Outside," "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town" and "You Make Me Feel So Young"

My Favorite Quotes:
  • Buddy: "Buddy the Elf. What's your favorite color?"
  • Children's Book Author: "Call me elf ONE MORE TIME!" Buddy: [whispering] "He's an angry elf."
  • Buddy: "Son of a Nutcracker!"
  • Leslie the manager: "Why are you smiling like that?" Buddy: "I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite."
  • Buddy [to the store Santa]: "You sit on a throne of lies!"
Rating: 4 Snowflakes

No comments: