12.25.2007

Merry Christmas: Little Women

25 Days of Christmas Movies: Day Twenty-Five!!!
(The Grand Finale... okay, maybe not grand but definitely the finale)
Little Women (1994)

My sister, mom and I have a tradition to watch this movie every Christmas. We have done so for many years and somehow don't remember how this tradition began. The movie starts with Christmas but after the 8 minute-mark ticks by, Christmas is nowhere to be found. Despite that, we do enjoy laughing at some of the silly lines, singing the goofy carols and (sick I know) watching Beth die. For some reason, it wouldn't be Christmas in our house without watching Little Women.

Soundtrack Highlights: "Ding Dong Merrily on High," "Here We Come a Wassailing," "Deck the Halls" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"

My favorite quotes:
  • Amy [after Jo reveals she's cut off her hair and sold it]: "Oh Jo! How could you? Your one beauty!"
  • Laurie/Teddy: "In token of my gratitude and as a means of promoting communication between adjoining nations, shouting from windows being forbidden, I shall provide a post office in our hedge, to further encourage the bearing of our souls and the telling of our most appalling secrets."
  • Jo: "He's dull as powder, Meg. Can't you at least marry someone amusing?"
  • Marmee: "I am going to write that man a letter." Jo: "A letter. That'll show him."
  • Marmee: "Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life?"
  • Amy: "You don't need scores of suitors. You need only one... if he's the right one."
  • John Brooke: "Mr. Laurence! One doesn't shout at ladies as if they were cattle. My apologies!"
  • Amy: "What's that strange smell? Like burnt feathers... AHHH!"
  • Jo: "Meg! Pregnant? Why didn't you say anything in your letters?" Meg: "One hardly speaks of such things."
Rating: 5 snowflakes

********************************

And so my celebration of Christmas Movies ends. I know I enjoyed it--sometimes more than others--but I am definitely glad to be writing about whatever I want from here on out. Get excited for movie and book reviews ASAP!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: