12.05.2007

The Santa Clause

25 Days of Christmas Movies: Day Five
The Santa Clause (1994)

"This Christmas, the snow hits the fan..."

I remember going to see this movie at a little theater on the Plaza in KC that no longer exists. I loved it then and I still love it now. Tim Allen is great as a guy who takes over Santa's job after he falls off of his roof. The kid who plays Charlie is damn annoying and I'm not a big fan of the reindeer but it's okay cause Judge Reinhold is hilarious as the crazy psychiatrist with ugly-as-sin sweaters and I love Bernard the head elf. Pretty cheesy, I suppose, but a real holiday "classic." (It's only 13 years old, after all. Wait--that movie came out 13 years ago? I am getting old!)

Soundtrack Highlights: "Santa Claus is coming to town" and "Jingle Bells"

My Favorite Quotes:
  • Little Elf Judy: "Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing!"
  • Laura: "All Neil told him was that Santa was more of a feeling. More of a state of mind than an actual person." Scott Calvin: "Kind of like Neil!"
  • Scott Calvin: "Who gave you permission to tell Charlie there was no Santa Claus? I think if we're going to destroy our son's delusions, I should be a part of it."
  • Scott Calvin: "Hey, kid, who's in charge here?" Larry the Elf: "You are, and I'm not a kid. I have pointy shoes older than you. I'm an elf."
  • Little girl: "You're supposed to drink the milk!" Scott Calvin: "I am lactose intolerant."
  • Scott Calvin: "Let's start with a tall refreshing holiday favorite--eggnog!" Charlie: "I don't like eggnog." Waitress Judy: "Eh we're out." Charlie: "I'll have chocolate milk." Waitress Judy: "We're out." Charlie: "Plain milk's fine."
Rating: 5 Snowflakes

No comments: