12.28.2007

Four Fast Movie Reviews

I've seen four movies in the past six days--gotta love the holidays. Here are four fast reviews:

Sunday: Sweeney Todd
Honestly? How awesome is Johnny Depp? He can pull off creepy like no other, and his character definitely fits that description. Plus he can sing! Good music, awesome costumes, amazing cast. Overall a must-see. *****




Tuesday: Atonement
Not exactly a happy holiday movie to see on Christmas, but we tend to do that for some reason. This film was just plain beautiful--beautiful people, beautiful scenery, beautiful story. Very sad but a fabulous adaptation of Ian McEwan's eloquent and tragic love story. ****



Thursday: Juno
This movie definitely defied my expectations: I expected weird and instead it was cute! Definitely more plot than I expected, too. I wouldn't say it was a super hilarious comedy but Ellen Page is great as the super bizarre Juno. I wish Michael Cera would've had a bigger part! ****



Friday: P.S. I Love You
The critics have been brutal in their reviews of this movie, but I actually liked it a lot! I would, however, debate the "Romantic Comedy" label as there were more tears than laughs. I was impressed by how developed the story was, though distracted by Hilary Swank's giant teeth and the fact that she is now basically a bunch of toothpicks held together by rubber bands. Eat a sandwich! But oh there were some beautiful men in this movie... ****


Still want to see: Charlie Wilson's War, The Great Debaters, There Will Be Blood, Kite Runner and The Savages

No comments: