12.16.2007

While You Were Sleeping

25 Days of Christmas Movies: Day Sixteen
While You Were Sleeping (1995)

"I've had a really lousy Christmas, you've just managed to kill my New Year's, if you come back on Easter- you can burn down my apartment..."

I just love this movie. Sandra Bullock is so great as the sorta-creepy-gawker-turned-fake-fiancee and man the Callaghan family is so awesome. What other movie lets you root for the girl to cheat on her coma-ridden boyfriend with his brother? It's like lying is a good thing to do in order to get married! Plus it's in Chicago and there are lots of scenes with Christmas trees and Christmas presents and such.

Soundtrack Highlights: "Winter Wonderland" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

My favorite quotes:
  • Elsie: "I like Mass better in Latin. It's nicer when you don't know what they're saying."
  • Jerry: "You're born into a family. You do not join them like you do the Marines."
  • Jerry: "Listen, Lucy, when I told my mother I was getting married to my wife, her intestines exploded. You tell them the truth now, you may as well shoot grandma."
  • Lucy: "It's amazing how exotic Wisconson... isn't."
  • Lucy: "I'm in love with your son." Ox Callaghan: "I know." Lucy: "Not that one. [points to Jack] That one."
  • Lucy: "Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack. And I told him, 'It was while you were sleeping.'"
Rating: 4 1/2 Snowflakes

No comments: